Start the week: fast news January 14 2018

Emirates_Boeing_777-300ER_1000th_777.jpg

Brazil’s President has approved the Boeing-Embraer buyout, despite a number of reservations in Brazil that this really isn’t the best way forward. It gives Boeing 80% of Embraer’s commercial division, with the rights to buy the remaining 20% in a few years time. It also gives Boeing the right to market the Embraer small military air to air re-fuelling tanker.

e03a6c4d4e2c13374df72f50fdf22cd4.jpg

Bamboo Airways is setting its launch of service date to January 16th flying between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.

Emirates has prepared a huge list of service changes as it prepares for closure of its DXB hub southern runway from mid-April to the end of May for resurfacing. These include extra services to meet northern hemisphere demand, Glasgow will see A380’s for example, as will Boston Logan, and it will also begin retiring the oldest of its 777-300ER’s. It expects to see a 25% cut in services during the weeks of the runway closure. More services to African destinations and South America are planned. The airline said it will take 6 new A380’s in 2019.Emirates A380-800 A6-EDG (99)(Grd) AMS (TNJ)(46)-840x560.jpg

Boeing and Airbus are always compared year end for deliveries and this year is no exception.

  • Airbus gained 747 net orders for 2018, Boeing 893.
  • It was a big year for the A220 – 135 A220’s were ordered in the last six months of the year
  • Both Boeing and Airbus have been highly dependent on new orders for single aisles 90% of Airbus orders fitted this category.
  • image.jpeg
    Single aisles ruled the day at Airbus
  • Airbus gained just 40 A350’s, 4 net A380’s, and 27 for the A330 in all variants.
  • Boeing gained a net 109 787 orders, but it’s already looking at production exceeding orders in 2019 and onward.

Air Tanzania is making itself felt with the addition of a second A220 in the next two weeks. The airline is aiming for international connectivity and is the first in Africa to fly the ultra-modern A220 series. Africa’s airlines are deeply dependent on Ethiopian and Emirates for their connectivity to Asia and Oceania especially, never mind Europe and North America. Tanzania is looking at long-term growth and to help boost its tourist industry.

a220

BREXIT is fast becoming the most irritating made up word in history, and Tuesday sees a crucial vote in the British Parliament about accepting the terms of the EU deal or not. It’s almost certain the Government will lose and have just three days to provide an alternative solution. Nobody has a clue what that is. In aviation terms it will make little difference – we all hope – if everyone agrees to carry on regardless with flights to and from the EU. UK airlines will still lose their rights to fly between EU destinations though, but most – except IAG have made provisions for it. IAG’s situation is much more complicated, but smugly they thought they’d got it all sorted. It seems they may not have. That’ll have ironically, little effect in the UK, but has the potential to ground Vueling, Aer Lingus and Level, as well as Iberia if the EU decides they’ll be foreign-owned airlines – ie British.

440px-International_Airlines_Group_logo.svg.png

Advertisements